I am absolutely addicted to making these scrolls! They're light, fluffy and incredibly delicious.
I know what you might be thinking; working with dough is difficult, or it's too time consuming having to wait for it to rise. But I promise you, it's not difficult at all and oh so worth the wait.
They're vegan, fluffy, gooey, DELICIOUS and will leave your house smelling like a bakery! **I've been playing with this recipe and have increased the flour a little as I think it works better this way.
for the scrolls:
1 cup soy milk 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted 1 sachet dry yeast 2 cups plain/all purpose flour (plus more as needed)
1/2 cup sugar Pinch of salt
for the filling:
1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
for the icing: 1/2 cup icing sugar 1 tbsp soy milk
1. In a large bowl combine the soy milk, vegan butter and dry yeast. Add the flour, sugar, salt and mix to form a soft dough (if the dough is too sticky, add more flour so that it will form a ball and should not stick to the bowl too much) cover the bowl with cling wrap and place it in a warm area of your home, letting it sit for 45 mins to 1 hour until it rises and doubles in size.
2. Transfer the dough to a clean floured surface and knead for a couple of minutes until smooth. Add more flour to the surface so the dough doesn't stick. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it's about 1cm thick and a rectangle shape.
3. Brush the melted vegan butter evenly over the dough reaching the edges and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar and ground cinnamon on top. Starting from one end, roll up the dough to form a log.
4. Cut it into 9 pieces and carefully place them on a baking dish, leaving a bit of space between each as they will expand when baked. Brush more melted vegan butter on top and cover with cling wrap. Let it sit for another 30 mins before going in the oven (this is important, letting them rise further will give you the lightest and fluffiest scrolls ever!)
5. Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius and bake the scrolls for about 25 mins or until they turn golden.
6. Once baked, let them cool while you prepare the icing. In a small bowl, combine the icing sugar and milk and keep stirring until the mixture is smooth. Pour over your scrolls and serve warm. Enjoy!
Tag @veganbyeden if you try these scrolls. I'd love to see them!