These classic chocolate cupcakes are made with a vanilla buttercream icing and they're soft, moist and absolutely delicious! Perfect for any occasion and definitely a crowd pleaser. You don't need any expensive egg replacers and you don't need any beaters or mixers.
If you’ve never worked with icing before, I encourage you to get yourself a basic piping bag and start playing and practicing because it’s SO much fun and you’ll get the hang of it so quickly.
1 1/2 cups plain flour 2 tsp baking powder 1/8 tsp baking soda 3/4 cups caster sugar 2 tbsp cocoa powder 2 tsp apple cider vinegar 1 1/4 cups soy milk 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla extract
Icing: 1/2 cup vegan butter 1.5 cups icing sugar 3 tbsp water 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl combine the soy milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract. Let it sit for a few minutes before adding the dry ingredients. Once the milk + vinegar mixture has thickened a bit, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, sugar and the vegetable oil last.
2. Mix the ingredients together using a spoon but make sure not to over mix - just enough to scrape down the sides and remove any flour streaks. Over mixing can give you a dense and gummy texture.
4. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
3. Divide the batter evenly into cupcake liners using an ice cream scoop so each liner is about half to 3/4 full. I like to place my liners inside a muffin tray to keep them flat and secure.
4. Bake them for about 20 to 25 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before icing.
5. Once the cupcakes have cooled down, combine the icing ingredients in a bowl. Soften the butter first and then gradually add the other ingredients to form a thick, smooth texture. Decorate your cupcakes as you wish! Enjoy!
Tag @veganbyeden if you try these tasty cupcakes, I'd love to see them!