This lasagna is made with TVP (textured vegetable protein) which works like a mince substitute and it tastes like the classic, traditional lasagna that you had growing up. It's creamy, saucy and so delicious you'll want to eat the whole tray! Made from scratch, it's a homemade meal you will absolutely LOVE!
I didn't use a vegan cheese in this because I find it to be creamy and cheesy enough with the cheese sauce but you can use some on top if you like.
1 box of lasagna sheets
for the meat sauce:
2 cups TVP 1 cube 'beef style' stock cube (if you don't have this where you live you can just use veggie stock)
1 onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 bottle of passata (700g)
1 tbsp olive oil Dried Italian herbs salt and pepper to taste
For the cheese sauce:
3 tbsp nuttelex (vegan margarine) 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 tsp white miso paste 3 tbsp plain flour Juice from 1/4 lemon 2 cups soy milk 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1. Add the dry TVP to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Add the stock cube, mix and let it sit for 10-15 mins to thicken.
2. In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the onion and garlic. Stir to soften. Add the passata and stir. Once TVP has been soaked, drain and add to the tomato sauce. Reduce heat and let it simmer.
3. To make the cheese sauce, add the nuttelex to a pan and melt. Add flour and mix until smooth. Add the garlic and miso paste (I find the miso paste really adds a nice cheesy flavour) stir.
4. Add the lemon juice and nutritional yeast and gradually add the milk and keep stirring until smooth and thick.
5. Prepare your lasagna in a baking dish. First add a layer of the TVP meat sauce, then a layer of cheese sauce (spread it through with the back of a spoon) and then a layer of lasagna sheets. Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of TVP meat sauce and cheese sauce.
6. Bake at 190 degrees celsius for 30 mins, until the sides are bubbling. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 10 mins before serving. Enjoy!