This simple and delicious lemon loaf is dairy-free, egg-free and vegan! It's fluffy and moist, with a tangy & sweet flavour that every lemon lover will appreciate. Topped with a delicious lemon icing, this is perfect for any occasion.
I used a non-stick loaf pan that measures 23cm but you can use any size or shape of loaf pan that you like.
Don't be afraid to get messy with the icing!
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 1/2 cups soy milk or plant milk of choice
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Juice of half a lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
For the icing:
1 cup icing sugar
100g vegan butter 1/4 tsp vanilla extract 2 tbsp lemon juice (or more if desired)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. In a small bowl, combine the milk, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for a few mins for it to thicken.
3. In a large bowl, sift the flour and add the baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together.
4. Add the vegetable oil, lemon juice and the lemon zest. Mix together until the mixture is creamy and smooth without any lumps. You can taste the mixture and adjust the lemon to add a little more as you go.
5. Pour the mixture into a lined or greased loaf pan and bake for about 35 mins or until it's golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean. Remove the loaf from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10-15 mins before transferring it to a cooling rack. Let it cool entirely so it's at room temperature.
6. Once the loaf has cooled down completely, prepare your icing mixture. Soften the butter in a bowl before adding the icing sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and rind. Continue to mix until the icing is thick but smooth and creamy. You can add more lemon juice to adjust the taste.
7. Spread the lemon icing over the loaf, including the sides. Slice the loaf into desired pieces, serve and enjoy!
Remember to tag @veganbyeden on instagram if you make this lemon loaf, I'd love to see your creations.