Fresh and healthy, this couscous salad is great as a meal or a side dish. You can cook your couscous with veggie stock but I like to use water because I find the stock can make it a little too salty.
Makes 2 big serves as a main meal or will serve more if used as a side dish.
250g pearl couscous 1 sweet potato, chopped 1 cucumber, chopped 1 tomato, cubed 2 cups baby spinach 1 tsp salt 1 tsp cumin 1 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp paprika Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Place sweet potato on a baking dish and bake until soft & tender. I like to season with a little olive oil, salt & pepper.
2. Bring a pot of water to the boil (about 4 cups) and add the salt & spices. The salt helps the couscous not stick together.
3. Add the couscous and reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 10 mins until it has absorbed the liquid and is fluffy. Fluff up more with a fork and separate.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and add the chopped cucumber, tomato & spinach. Add the cooked sweet potato.
5. Season with lemon juice & maybe some cracked black pepper. Give it a good mix and serve.