Here's a really easy way to a make your own gnocchi with very few ingredients. The pesto really gives it a delicious flavour and I'm personally pesto obsessed. You can play around with the ingredients for this and the key is to have a really soft (and slightly sticky) dough that will easily roll into a rope shape you can cut it up into bite sized pieces.
I used my homemade pesto but you can use any that you like. You can find a recipe for the pesto here.
You can check out a step by step video of the gnocchi here:
200g plain flour
100g warm water
1. In a bowl combine the flour, pesto and water. Mix to form a soft dough. Gently mix with your hands and add more flour if too sticky. Roll into a ball and wrap in cling wrap. Chill in the fridge for 15 mins.
2. Transfer to a floured surface. I like to cut into half and work one section as a time. Roll out into a rope. Cut into bite sized pieces and press down with a fork.
3. To freeze and store for later - place in a single layer on a flat tray sprinkled with flour. Freeze for 30 mins. Once they freeze individually you can transfer them to a container and keep it in the fridge for later use.
4. To cook now - add to salted boiling water. Cook for 1-2 mins or until they float. Drain and add to a pan with a little olive oil. Pan fry for about 5 mins, gently tossing so they don’t get stuck.
5. Add greens of choice (I use basil and spinach) and season. I love using dried sage, it tastes amazing with gnocchi. A little sprinkle of salt and pepper and it’s ready to serve.
Serve with extra pesto or just a little drizzle of olive oil. I also love to add some sage as it adds such a delicious flavour.
I hope you give this a try!