These delicious pizza scrolls are easy to make and have a classic pizza taste that everyone will love. They're perfect for lunch, as a snack or to pack in a lunchbox. You can add toppings such as olives and mushrooms, I kept them very simple with just a tomato base, vegan cheese and herbs & spices.
I prepared my dough earlier and let it sit,covered, for about 45 mins to rise. Letting the dough rise results in soft, fluffy scrolls. You can use any vegan cheese you like, I used Follow Your Heart Mozzarella and it melted perfectly.
1 sachet dry yeast 1 1/2 cups plain flour 1/2 cup melted vegan butter or margarine 1 tbsp olive oil 1/2 cup water 1/2 tsp salt 4 tbsp tomato paste for base 2 cups shredded vegan cheese Basil, parsley, any other herbs you want to add
1. In a large bowl, add the melted vegan butter and dry yeast. Then add the flour, water, olive oil and salt.
2. Mix the ingredients together using a spoon to form a soft dough. Cover with cling wrap and let it sit in a warm area of your home for about 45 mins so the dough can rise and double in size.
3. Once the dough has risen, transfer it to a clean floured surface. Knead the dough for a couple of minutes and then roll out to about 1/2 cm thick.
4. Spread the tomato paste evenly over the dough and then sprinkle with the vegan cheese and herbs.
5. Roll up the dough to form a log and cut into 9 pieces. Place them flat in a baking dish and leave a bit of space between each as they will expand when baked. Cover with cling wrap and let it sit for a further 30 mins.
6. Remove the cling wrap and brush the tops with melted vegan butter, then place them in the oven and cook at 190 degrees Celsius for about 20 mins or until golden. Serve warm and enjoy!
Tag @veganbyeden if you try this recipe, I'd love to see your pizza scrolls!