These are the BEST sausage rolls ever, I kid you not. They taste amazing and I've made them for meat eaters before who confirmed that they are delicious. They couldn't tell that they were vegan as they taste exactly as I remember sausage rolls to be. These are a great option for parties and I'm sure kids will love them too.
This makes 10 to 12 rolls, I usually get 10 but if you use less filling you might manage 12. Each piece of puff pastry makes 4 roll so I use 3 sheets and cut them in half, I place any leftover pieces back in the freezer.
3 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 block silken tofu (300g)
1/2 cup pecans 2 cloves garlic 1 onion 1 cup rolled oats 1/2 cup breadcrumbs 1 cube beef style stock (if you don't have a vegan one where you live you can use veggie stock) 2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
sesame seeds to sprinkle on top (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients for the filling in a blender. Mix together until well combined. It will probably look gross at this stage but trust me, they will turn out delicious!
2. Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
3. Cut the puff pastry sheet down the middle to create 2 long pieces of pastry.
4 Spoon the filling down the center of the pastry sheet lengthwise, so you have a line of filling from top to bottom. Brush the sides with water and fold over to seal.
5. Repeat with the remaining puff pastry and filling. Cut each sausage roll in half as they will be quite long (or you can keep them long is you like)
6. Use a knife to create a few diagonal cuts along the top of each sausage roll. Brush with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
7. Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 15 mins or until golden brown. Let it cool for 5 to 10 mins and enjoy!