A shepherd's pie is one of the most comforting foods around and this vegan recipe will leave you satisfied. This classic dish can be enjoyed any day of the week or prepared for special occasions. I use TVP in the base (Textured Vegetable Protein) which acts as a mince substitute. Paired with a vegan gravy, this will be a real crowd pleaser.
for the base:
1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein) pre-soaked in 1 cup hot veggie stock 1 cup mushrooms, chopped 1 small onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 cup peas 1 tbsp olive oil 1 tsp tamari
For the potato layer: 6 medium potatoes, roughly chopped 2 tbsp soy milk 1/3 cup vegan butter or margarine 1 cup vegan gravy 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1. To prepare the TVP place 1 cup in a small bowl and cover with hot vegetable stock. Let it sit for 5-10 mins until fluffy and has absorbed the stock.
2. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Let them cook for 15 mins or until they soften and can easily be mashed. While that's cooking you can prepare the base.
3. In a large pan, add the oil on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Stir and let it cook for a few mins until onion softens. Add the mushroom and stir. Let it cook for about 5 mins for the mushrooms to brown a little. Add the Tamari and give it a stir.
4. Add the peas, TVP and the gravy. Stir and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set it aside while you make your mash potato layer.
5. Preheat oven top 190 degrees Celsius.
6. Drain the potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Mash the potatoes using a potato masher and then add the soy milk and margarine. Give it a mix using a spoon and adjust the amount of milk/margarine if you like. You can add a bit more of each if you want it to be more creamy. Season with salt & pepper and nutritional yeast. Give it another quick mix.
7. Transfer the bottom layer (TVP mix) to a square baking dish, even out the top using the back of a spoon. Top with the mash potato layer and use the back of a spoon to smooth out the top.
8. Cover with foil and bake for 35 - 40 mins. Remove from the oven and serve warm with some more gravy.