This risotto is so delicious and very easy to make. The shiitake mushrooms add so much flavour and constantly stirring the rice will make the risotto really nice and creamy. This is a great nourishing plant based meal that the family will enjoy.
Recipe: (serves 4)
2 cups Arborio Rice 2 cups shiitake mushroom, sliced 4 cups vegetable stock 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped 1 small red onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 tbsp thyme 2 tbsp nutritional yeast or more to taste Pinch of ground cumin Pinch of black pepper 1 tbsp olive oil Squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
1. In a small pan, heat the vegetable stock in low heat. It should be warm but not boiling.
2. In a different large pan, heat the olive oil and add the garlic and onion. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant and add the chopped shiitake mushroom. Stir through for a minute or two.
3. Add the tamari and stir through the mushroom so it’s evenly coated. Continue to cook the mushroom until they start to brown.
4. Add the Arborio rice and slowly add the warm vegetable stock using a ladle, one scoop at a time. Give it a stir each time you add more vegetable stock and let it simmer, continuing to stir frequently. Continue to do this until you add all the veggie stock – for about 25 mins until the rice is cooked and all liquid has been absorbed.
5. Add the thyme, parsley and nutritional yeast and stir through. Add a pinch of cumin, black pepper to taste and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir through and remove from heat.
6. Serve warm and garnish with extra parsley and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
Tag @veganbyeden if you try my risotto recipe :)