These homemade snickers bars will satisfy all your sweet cravings!
Layers of delicious peanut caramel on top of a soft and light oat based nougat coated in chocolate. Creamy, delicious and you only need 7 ingredients.
14 medjool dates, pitted
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup soy milk
pinch of salt
1 cup oats, ground into flour
½ cup roasted peanuts
chocolate to cover bars
1. Soak the dates in warm water for a few minutes before adding to a blender. Add the milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract and salt. Mix in a blender until the dates are broken down and the mixture is smooth and creamy. You may need to stop the blender, give it a mix and then continue to blend until you have a caramel like texture.
2. Scoop out 1/3 of the caramel and place aside.
3. Combine the oat flour and 1 tsp of vanilla extract with the remaining caramel and mix together. Transfer to a rectangle container and spread it out with a spoon. It will be sticky, try to smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Place in the freezer for 15 mins.
4. Remove from freezer and add the caramel layer. Sprinkle the peanuts on top and press them down a little to stick to the caramel. Return to freezer and let it set for about 2-3 hours.
5. Once set you can cut it into bars. Run a knife under hot water to make this easier. The caramel layer will probably still be sticky but you should be able to cut them easily.
6. Melt the chocolate to coat the bars. I use a microwave to melt the chocolate and I do it in 30 second intervals. Once it looks almost melted, remove and stir. It will continue to melt as you stir. Let it cool for a few minutes.
7. To coat the bars in chocolate you can use a fork to hold the bar over the bowl of melted chocolate and using your other hand, spoon melted chocolate over the bar. I spooned chocolate over the top and the sides. Then I placed the bar down on a sheet of baking paper, it set pretty quickly and then I was able to pick them up, turn them over and coat the bottom with chocolate. Place it down for the bottom to set and continue with other bars. Store them in a container in the fridge.