Making your own gnocchi can be so easy! You only need 4 ingredients to make this delicious homemade spinach flavoured gnocchi.
POTATO, FLOUR, SPINACH and SALT! That's it.
Usually gnocchi is made with semolina flour but I can only find plain flour right now (y'know, with the COVID-19 shopping panic and all) so we have to make do, it works and is a great hands on recipe if you're bored at home.
You can serve this with any sauce you like, a simple tomato sauce works great. You can also just drizzle a little olive oil, salt & pepper and some pine nuts will work a treat.
This serves 4 and can be frozen for later use.
2 large potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
4 cups flour, give or take
1 cup baby spinach
1 tsp salt
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and cook the potatoes until soft and tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Mash them.
2. In a blender combine the spinach with a little water and mix until well blended. Add to the bowl with the flour. Start by adding small amounts of the spinach mix and you can add more gradually - we just don't want to add too much water to start with.
3. Add the salt and mix to form a soft dough. Keep adding flour if needed.
4. Transfer to a floured surface and cut into 4 sections. Take one section and roll it out into a rope. Cut into small bite sized pieces. Repeat with remaining pieces.
5. You can leave them as is but if you want to add a bit more texture, press the small piece of gnocchi gently against the back of a fork and roll down using your thumb. Repeat with the other pieces.
6. If you want to freeze them for later you can do so now. If you want to cook them, add them to a large pot of boiling water that has been salted. Let them cook until they float to the top, then for a further minute. Drain and serve.
* If you freeze some for later, cook them the same way. You can add them straight from the freezer, leaving them out room temperature will make them stick together.