These classic stuffed peppers bring out the best in a simple filling - rice, beans, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and a homemade tomato sauce. They're filling, delicious, nutritious and you can prepare them ahead of time. I sprinkled a little vegan cheese on top to melt and it was perfect.
I made the filling in one large pan and gradually added all my ingredients, so this is really easy to prepare. If you have any leftover filling, use them the next day as taco or burrito filling. Delicious!
You can pair the stuffed peppers with a fresh side salad or other roasted veggies.
4 medium to large bell peppers 2 cups cooked rice ½ cup mushroom cups, diced 1 can bean mix 1 small onion 4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped 1 can chopped tomatoes A handful of fresh basil, chopped 2 tbsp tomato paste 2 tbsp olive oil 1/2 tsp paprika 1/2 tsp cumin Sprinkle of chili flakes salt & pepper
vegan cheese for topping (optional)
1. Heat olive oil and add onion and garlic. Cook until the onion softens and is fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook to brown. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and stir through.
2. Add the beans and stir for a few mins. Add half the canned chopped tomato and the tomato paste. Mix to coat everything.
3. Add the basil and spices and stir thoroughly. Add the cooked rice and the remaining tomato and stir so everything is nice and evenly coated.
4. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
5. Hollow out the peppers and remove all the seeds. Place the peppers upright in a baking dish.
6. Spoon the filling mixture into each pepper and add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with foil and place them in the oven to bake for 30 mins until the peppers have softened.
7. Remove from the oven and sprinkle vegan cheese on top (optional) Return to the oven for a further 10 mins, until the cheese melts. Remove and allow to cool for 5 mins before serving. Enjoy!
Tag @veganbyeden on instagram if you try my stuffed pepper recipe. I'd love to see them.