Zaatar is a family of middle eastern herbs and they taste oh so delicious. The flavour is zesty and tangy and goes perfectly with some homemade scrolls. These are so delicious and perfect for breakfast or to have as a snack. I made these with a bit of vegan cheese to add some moisture to the scrolls. (I used Sprout and Kernel nut cheese)
1 sachet dry yeast 6 tbsp warm water (not hot) 1 tsp brown sugar
2 cups plain flour 1/4 tsp salt 1 tsp brown sugar 1 cup warm soy milk 1/4 cup melted vegan margarine
1/4 cup zaatar mix 1/4 cup olive oil Your favourite vegan cheese
1. In a small bowl combine the yeast, sugar and warm water. Stir and let it sit for a few mins to thicken. In a separate bowl add the flour, salt, sugar, soy milk and margarine. Then add the yeast mix to the flour mix and stir to form a soft dough. If too sticky you can add a little more flour. Form into a ball and cover with cling wrap. Place in a warm area of your home and let it sit for about 45 mins to rise.
2. Once the dough has risen, transfer to a clean floured surface. Knead for a few minutes and then use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a rectangle shape.
3. Combine the zaatar and olive oil and mix to form a paste. Spread it out over the dough. Sprinkle with pieces of your favourite vegan cheese. Then starting at the bottom end, roll the dough up to form a log.
4. Cut the log into 9 pieces and place them in a square baking dish (or any baking dish) and let it sit for a further 15 mins. You can preheat your oven while you do this to 190 degrees Celsius.
5. Brush a little vegan margarine or olive oil over the scrolls before placing them in the oven and baking them for 25 mins or until golden brown. Let them cool for 5 mins before serving.